Bexit Advice for Skiers and Snowboarders

Date: 27th March 2019 | Categories: News

Brexit advice for skiers and snowboarders

The impending deadline for the UK to leave the EU may have you worried, especially if you have travel plans on or around that date, however with a few steps you can make sure you are well prepared for any eventuality.


Most holiday companies have taken measures to ensure that there will be minimal impact to their guests’ experience, however it is still unclear what effect there will be on things like flights and passport control. Agreements have been made with the EU to make sure flights are not affected before December 2020 but there may be some knock-on effects such as airlines reducing schedules or cancelling routes, the same applies to trains and ferries. If you are taking a package deal that is covered by ABTA, ABTOT & ATOL you will have the same buyer protection as before.

If you are thinking of taking advantage of a last minute break, there are lots of great deals to be had, especially if you decide to organise the ski extras yourself.  It’s easier than you think and most companies are offering deals over the Easter period.  Here’s our pick of the best ski concierge services you can consider.

Ski School

SkiBro is an innovative online platform that helps you find your perfect ski & snowboard instructor, guide or school, and book instantly in just a few clicks.

Not only can you book instantly online, but they connect you to your teacher providing profile videos so you know who you’re meeting.


Huski – the online food delivery business taking all the leg work out of your self-catered holiday.

Dishes heat from frozen, usually in 30-40 minutes….no shopping, prep or cleaning up. They also have a range of matching wines and craft beers.

You get the flexibility and lower prices of self-catering, with the hassle-free indulgence of Catering.  And more time to ski!


Coolbus are making transfers more convenient and fun.  You’ll be chauffeured with a selection of cool playlists available that cater to any taste.

They know the best routes to take to make sure you don’t waste time in transit.  The best bit is that they have invested in electric vehicles in the form of Teslas, which they have added to their already impressive fleet of VW’s.

Travel insurance

You should always purchase travel insurance to make sure you are covered in case of delays or cancellations. If in doubt about arrangements contact your tour operator to make sure there aren’t any changes.  It is probably worth adding a little extra time before passport control just in case things aren’t running as smooth as normal.

Most travel insurers will offer the same amount of coverage in EU countries as they did before if you already have a policy with them, in fact many of them are underwritten by large EU corporations. It is possible that premiums might go up after March 29th as we leave the EHIC scheme and other shared healthcare and insurance organisations. If you aren’t sure whether your insurance still covers you, head to their website or give them a call.

MPI Insurance will give you all the cover you need.  Check out the options here MPI Insurance


Make sure you have at least 6 months left before your passport expires from the end of your trip, this is a major change from previously only being required to have a valid passport for the duration of your stay. If you need to renew your passport it’s worth doing as soon as possible to beat the summer holiday rush, that way it works out cheaper and there is less likely to be as long a wait time.

Renew your passport here –


Driving in the EU post Brexit is one of the less clear topics. In the event of a no-deal it is possible that UK drivers licences will not be recognised without an additional IDP (International Drivers Permit). You can order one of these from the post office but can take some time (up to 30 days) and requires ID to be presented. If you are planning on driving out to the alps in April it might be worth getting one just in case. You can find more details here –

You may also need a ‘green card’ to prove that you are insured to drive in the EU. These should be obtained from your car insurance provider and there may be an admin fee to pay. The Association of British Insurers recommend you apply for this at least a month before driving abroad.

Taking a pet

If you are bringing a pet on holiday, then there could be some big changes to the documentation you will need and the vaccinations your pets will require in the event of no-deal. Essentially rabies shots will be required as well as proof of a vet visit within 10 days of travelling. For full information on what you need head here –



5 reasons to choose rental republic


Book your ski and
snowboard hire today!

From just £7per